The tradition of care at The Wesley Hospital dates back to 1896 when Dr Charles Kebbell converted a humble building situated on Brisbane’s south bank into a private hospital. In 1901, the hospital was purchased by Dr Ernest Sandford Jackson, a pioneer surgeon in Queensland, and he named it St Helen's Hospital.
Image: State Library of Queensland
Dr Sandford Jackson invited many prominent Brisbane surgeons of the time to use the hospital's facilities to treat their patients. The scope of activities and the hospital's reputation for outstanding medical and nursing care developed significantly after 1949 when it was purchased by the Methodist Church and rebuilt. The State Government’s plans for the redevelopment of the South Brisbane region prompted a move to Moorlands Estate at Auchenflower, where a new hospital, The Wesley Hospital, was established and opened on 1 March 1977. The first patients in the new Wesley Hospital were transferred from the former St Helen's Methodist Hospital. With the union of the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational Churches in 1977, the Wesley became, and remains, an activity of the Uniting Church.
Today, The Wesley Hospital is one of Australia’s largest private not-for-profit hospitals. We offer comprehensive care across a wide range of acute tertiary-level medical and surgical services, and through research and education we’re constantly searching for the latest in treatment techniques and processes. We show consideration of the whole person and not just their physical health, placing our patients and their loved ones at the heart of everything we do.