Wesley Maternity offers the following classes to help you and your family prepare for the birth of your child:
This is a program that provides valuable education and tips on preparing for labour and the arrival and care of your newborn. It is aimed a first-time parents, however existing parents who are expecting a new addition to their family are also welcome.
We recommend that you start this program at around 28 weeks into pregnancy. There are six classes that are held one evening per week, over a six week period. Each class is two hours and is held in the evenings from Tuesday-Thursday, depending on what best suits your schedule.
Each class will focus on different topics and they are interactive, small group focused, with hands on activities.
- Why labour starts
- When to come to hospital
- Extensive tour of birth suites and post-natal maternity
- Three stages of normal labour and birth
- Pain cycle – coping strategies for pain
- Induction of labour
- Options for pain relief
- Unexpected outcomes – including forceps, vacuum and caesarean births
- Characteristics of a newborn baby
- The first five days – postnatal ward routine
- Settling techniques, sleep patterns and SIDS
- Child safety
- Becoming a parent for the first time
- Postnatal depression
- Community support groups and resources
- When to contact your doctor once you and your baby go home
For those that are unable to attend the six week program, we do offer a condensed Parents-to-be class. This condensed class runs over a full day for seven hours and is held twice a month on Saturdays. Please note that this condensed session will run through all topics listed above, but due to time constraints there will be very minimal class participation and interaction.
- Parents-to-be Program – Six classes over six weeks $250*
- Parents-to-Be Program – Saturday single session $200
*Payment is for all six classes in the six week program. Classes cannot be purchased separately.
All classes include light refreshments. Please advise of specific dietary requirements when booking.
To book your placement in the Parents-to-be Program please phone (07) 3232 7316. Please contact us early in your pregnancy as places fill quickly.
Extended Breastfeeding Class
This is a dedicated three hour class that is run by our Lactation Consultants for both new mothers and also existing mothers who have had challenges breastfeeding with previous babies. This class expands on the session provided in the Parents-to-be Program, and provides more in-depth information to further your understanding and skills about breastfeeding.
Topics covered include:
- How to position and latch your baby
- How you know your baby is well latched
- What to expect during the first week
- Baby's hunger cues
- How often the baby needs to feed
- Health benefits of breastfeeding for you and your baby
- Natural patterns of breastfeeding
- The benefits of rooming in
- Challenges that may arise and how to manage these
- Community support for breastfeeding parents
Breastfeeding class $80
All classes include light refreshments. Please advise us of any specific dietary requirements when booking.
To book into a breastfeeding class please phone (07) 3232 7316. Please contact us early in your pregnancy as places fill quickly.