The Wesley Pain & Spine Centre
Our Pain Management rehabilitation programs use an interdisciplinary “whole-person” approach, they are part of Wesley's multi-disciplinary approach to health care. We focus on promoting self-management plans to meet individual needs by providing education to improve patients’ knowledge and understanding. Our patients learn to implement strategies to improve their ability to manage their condition and pain experience, and gain control over their life.
The Wesley Pain Management Program is for people who have:
- Persistent pain which is limiting their lifestyle and ability to perform everyday tasks
- No further surgical or medical treatments indicated at the current time
- Been unable to return to their full work duties or usual activities
Our program goals:
- Improve physical function
- Facilitate return to daily activities or work duties
- Improve the ability to manage pain and gain control over your life using a supervised exercise program and adaptive coping and other pain management strategies
- Promote a reduction in the use of medication
- Increase self-esteem and confidence
- Improve understanding of your diagnosis
The multi-disciplinary team includes:
- Specialist Pain Medicine Physician (assessment and review)
- Nurse Clinical Co-ordinator
- Exercise physiologist
- Occupational therapist
- Nutritional advice
Our pain management programs are group based, usually with six to eight participants. We offer a variety of program options which will be discussed with you during your initial appointment with the Specialist Pain Medicine Physician.
Indications for referral:
- Pain for more than three months
- Pain that has not responded to medical or surgical treatment
- Rehabilitation that has not progressed as expected
- Increased reliance on medication to cope with pain
- Difficulty with returning to work due to ongoing pain
- Excessive dependency on health care professionals
All participants will require a referral to attend the program. A doctors referral, from either your GP or specialist, which includes the patient’s name, diagnosis, address, phone, date of birth and claim number (if relevant), can be sent to The Wesley Pain & Spine Centre by either fax or post. All patients require a pre-admission consultation with a Specialist Pain Medicine Physician.
Funding is available through private health funds, workers’ compensation and compulsory third party insurance. The Wesley Hospital has contracts with private health funds for each of our programs, where you are considered a “same day” patient. We review your private hospital cover prior to admission and advise you of any excess or default payment, if applicable.
Patients will only be responsible for program costs if written approval is not received from WorkCover Queensland, Workers’ Compensation, compulsory third party insurance companies or Veterans’ Affairs (White Card) prior to the commencement of the program
If you have any queries or require more information please contact our team.
The Wesley Pain & Spine Centre
The Wesley Hospital,
East Wing - Level B1,
451 Coronation Drive, Auchenflower QLD 4066
PO Box 499, Toowong, QLD, 4066
Phone: 07 3232 6190 | Fax: 07 3232 6189 | Email:firstname.lastname@example.org